Monday, April 03, 2006

Secular Music

Just wondering, how much of it do you listen to say on an average week? For me, I get my fix every week during American Idol and maybe a few times in the car when my brothers are driving me home. Does it matter how much secular music we listen to? Most of the songs on my Ipod are Christian....but for those of you who have made a transition from one to the other, has it had a significant impact on you in any way just by listening to either Christian or Secular music? I know what the impact it has (or hasn't) had on me but just curious if anyone can shed some light on this subject with their own experiences.....

5 comments:

Jonny said...

Lots. But it all depends. I listen to music, for the music. For the creativity behind the song and lyric writing. And I hate to say it, but I find a lot of Christian music to be repetative and uninspiring (music and lyrically speaking). But good Christian music does exist.

Not to say that secular music these days is any better.

So perhaps what I should say is, all music these last 6-7 years seem to be produced and marketed for a very specific (but still wide) western audience.

Of the Christian artists that I do like however, are Jars of Clay (they're older stuff), David Crowder (his older stuff), and Starfield (I like their first album), and Delirious (...yeah, their older stuff).

Geo said...

Hmmm, I'm pretty much 3/4 Christian music, 1/4 Secular. The impact?? Not much I think... but you know me... I rarely, if ever, hear the lyrics... so I don't think it affects me any.

lito_e said...

yay for christian music!!

Leo said...

I listen to anything with good lyrics and things that sound really good.

You can always tell between a good song and a bad song...

Havok said...

Hmmm interesting...thanks for sharing everyone! :)

Jon, I actually like Crowder's newer worship stuff better...his last two albums "Illuminate" and "Collision" were better than his previous two CDs....