Monday, May 22, 2006

It's Been a Nice Day Off....Or Has It?!?! :)

Wow, what an exciting ending to 24! It's been a slow season (if I compare it to the rest of the seasons I've seen of the show), but it was a good ending and I am definitely anticipating season 6. Too bad we'll probably have to wait until January 2007! :P

The hockey game was really intense today. I was satisfied with the victory of the Hartford Whalers---I mean, Caroina Hurricanes! :) Hmmmm...this will be a close series I think but hopefully it will be the 'Canes vs the Oilers for the cup baby!!!! :)

I finished "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and now am reading "Boy Meets Girl." What I like about Josh Harris' writing is that he reminds us that though he believes his suggestions are accurate, they're not universal because we're all so different and come from different walks of life. A lot of what he says is true and I have no problems agreeing so I recommend this for anyone who has an open heart/mind in regards to wanting to learn more about healthy relationship forming. Anyone want to borrow the first book? :)

A verse I read today during devos today that spoke to me:

“Pride leads to disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom.” Proverbs 11:2 (NLT)

God knows I hate it when I've done something or came up with an idea and someone else takes the credit so how much more would God hate it if I tried taking the credit for his glorious work? Yup, God help me to never try to brag about something as if it were me but may it always be about you Lord.....it sounds so cliche, but I honestly pray for a level-head because I know how easily it is for anyone to be deceived by their own hearts....

Seriously, I honestly thought that with the youth, I would have a lot of things I could reach them with because of the life experiences God has allowed to happen to me. I found myself talking to one of the youth about a situation that is happening in her life which happened to me. I thought that if I told her my experience and the lessons I've learnt form them, it would be enough to spark some common sense into her. Boy was I wrong! I wonder if what my experience had any significant impact on her at all. Did she just take it with a grain of salt? I always justified my experiences with the fact that I could tell my stories to others and that they would be impactful to the youth I worked with one day and now that I'm here, I'm questioning things. God, was I really as unreachable when I was that young too? Are those experiences really to be inspiring to others who may face the same as me? God, you sure you want me to be a youth leader? I know it's not about my words, but I just really pray that you'll have control over this person's situation and please don't let her make the same mistake as I did......if it's avoidable, please don't let her fall for the same trap....In Jesus Name.....

1 comment:

Geo said...

It's tough. I've thought that before too and probably still do. That if you've gone through it and are able to extend your experiences to someone else, then you should be able to help them overcome that same situation. But it's not always the same thing. It's different because we've been through it and we've seen what has happened, but they are now JUST going through it and they have all these emotions in them that they arn't willing to accept what others tell them. It's tough to handle, cause you don't want to see them make the same mistakes as you.

BUT, on the other hand... I think that if I did not go through the situations myself, I wouldn't be who I am now. So, sometimes you just have to let them go and experience it themselves because it will make them a better person because they've learnt it themselves and not just listened to what somebody else said to them. The only thing you can do is that if they make the same mistakes is to make sure you're there for them to help them get back up after making the mistakes instead of falling further down.