Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Home Wrecker

Haha...well maybe more of a school wrecker. I've seriously been so discouraged about not being able to get any ideas on how to run some lessons my teacher asked me to prepare. He asked me to prepare some lessons on the phases of the moon and I literally sat there with nothing coming to mind for a few days. Man, that really tested me. I've also been teaching and my teacher has really given me some constructive feedback. He listed lots of good things, but he also listed a few suggestions here and there and for some reason, the bad stuff is always hard to listen to isn't it? I think teachers are quit insecure as it about the way they teach. I really have been questioning all of this but I feel like a big load has been lifted off my shoulders right now because the lessons are coming together. At first I felt intimidation in regards to these lessons but heck, I can DO this right? I just want to do a good job in impressing my teacher and getting a good review. My field advisor is coming to see me do one of the lessons on the moon so I guess that was another reason for my stress. Who needs two adults breathing down my neck about my teaching? Haha...it sucks, but I still want to be teachable. I know I'm already a part of this fatherless generation where I find it hard to take advice from my father, my spiritual fathers, etc. Still, I vowed to God I would try to be teachable so God, help me to be true to that. Give me a teachable attitude so I can be a good teacher myself.....:)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

im proud of you.. i miss you. see you soon. im praying for you too... and im trying to keep my word to keep going to church too.. luv ya

Jonny said...

Hahaha, why would you want to impress your teacher? Do you plan on having impressive lessons everyday of your career? Or are you gonna stockpile some impressive ones to throw out in case the principle walks in?

I don't know, I understand what you're saying, but are you trying to be the best for you're teacher/field advisor/assessment? Or for the kids.

It's all about being the best in the world, or being the best for the world.

Havok said...

Good point--I see what you're saying...

but it's all about playing the game with this whole system isn't it? I can't begin to think about doing what I think is best for the kids if I can't even get my own classroom and that can't even happen if my teacher/field advisor/assessment isn't good enough to land me an interview with CBE. Then if that happens, I'll have to worry about the interview and then when that happens, it's about getting my own classroom....

In terms of the lessons, the reason why I've been stressing over the lessons is because my teacher gave me materials to teach them in a certain way and I remember being taught that way in one of my Cirriculum classes and the whole concept made no sense because of the lesson. I figured, well if I couldn't understand why would I expect the kids to understand through this method? I was sitting at home trying to think of something better to do to make it more clear to the kids the concept I would be teaching...so yeah, I'm not trying to make killer lessons for the teachers exactly, it's because I experienced this lesson and I want the kids to understand it.

Jonny said...

I hear ya King, but ultimately, I think your teacher will assess you based on your relationship w/ the kids. How well you can handle them and such. And how well you can mingle w/ other staff members.

I've had 2 moments today where it was absolute brilliance on my teaching part, not to sound conceited, but seriously, these happen so rarely for me that man, twice in one day? Hot diggity!

And my PT was out of the room both times haha!

Regardless, why be so competitive? Isn't this program supposed to encourage collaboration? Get together w/ some other student teachers and combine minds to make up killer lesson plans!

Havok said...

Cool...I'm glad you've had moments.

Don't worry, I'm not cometeting with my colleagues...I love my new school because I'm able to talk to almost everyone. The other student teachers who are doing grade 6 there are friends with me...but our teachers are all doing different things....:(